Freitag, 4. September 2009

Aliens?

White foreigners (especially American immigrants) are called “gringos” in Panama. Usually that word has a negative connotation and I know why. I have already met quite a few very arrogant and ignorant white immigrants who have been here for more than 3 years and speak less Spanish than I do. I really try to learn more Spanish every day and try to get to know the Panamanians a bit. Of course, the gringos are usually much richer and think that they own the country. So far I have not met any unfriendly Panamanian and most of them seem to be happy people, but sometimes I wonder if they also think of me as a gringa.
However, there is something which really annoys me: When I go around town, lots of Panamanian guys honk their horn or yell something at me: only because I’m blonde. I do feel like an alien sometimes!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen