Samstag, 4. Juli 2009

Why do I have absolutely no sense of Orientation?

Ok, by now I know where the boy's school is, the library, the grocery stores, some of the houses of the boy's friends, the lake, the dry cleaners and so on. But I still managed to get lost.
Arttu, Valterry and I went to the lake on Wednesday last week. We took Teemu (on of their friends with us). Before we started, Teemu was brought to our house by car and that's why I didn't have to bother with looking for his place. But on the way back, all the boys wanted to be dropped off at Teemu's place. From Sari I knew that it wasn't far, so I was willing to try to find his house. Well, the boys speak some English, but they don't know the words for left and right. So, on the big gravel road, they would say "no" to every crossroad or drive-way where I didn't have to turn. When I had to turn, they said "yes" and just pointed into the direction. Well, I had to concentrate so much on their "yes" and "no's" that I completely forgot to memorize the way we came from. When we finally arrived at Teemu's place, I only knew that there was a big gravel road and then a small gravel road with lots of forests on the sides. However, all of rural Finland looks like that! So, I made my way back alone and of course, I took a wrong turn and ended up on an endlessly long gravel road. When it finally crossed with a normal street, I saw a sign saying "5 km Veikkola". I know where Veikkola is and how to get home from there. So, I took the road to Veikkola. But after 15 minutes in the car with no town in sight, I was so lost that I decided to turn around and try the gravel road again. Luckily, only going straight on the gravel road brought me back to the street to our house. So, how did I manage to not even memorize one single turn? My brain is all weird!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen